Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

20 April 2024 09:29

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Sandy
Subject: Propulsion by means of the Free Lunch Scenario
Question: Good evening shed dwellers,
Totally contrary to accepted principles and as a result of an original discussion circa 1982 at the Imperial College London, with Professor Eric Laithwaite it was mutually agreed that a large, single, vertical non Newtonian pulse could be generated by utilising the ability of a gyroscope(s) to climb vertically to its position of least action which it can accommodate with no increase in input energy.
This basic idea became known as the “Free Lunch Scenario”
The findings below were discovered as a result of extensive testing of my second machine around 1984
This device was explained in recent months on the” APEC Alternative Propulsion Conference
This would be a great starting point for future development.

FREE LUNCH SCENARIO
However from the above testing came my version of the “Free Lunch Scenario”

1 The device is rotated at a constant speed throughout this test.

2 Consider a system such as previously described and let the gyroscopes elevate themselves to their highest position.
From experiment we know that there is no reaction during this motion.

3 Mechanically arrange to hold the gyroscopes in this elevated position.
4 Slow the gyroscope rotation speed right down to a near stop.
5 Release the gyroscopes from their elevated position and allow them to descend freely.
A considerable vertical pulse will be generated during this cycle.
The angular momentum which was previously removed from the system will return in total when the rotation of the gyroscopes is halted.
I do realise that this device would be space bound.
I also admit the gyroscopic system will be slow to recover but if made large enough and designed to include numerous pairs of gyroscopes, it could create a much cheaper, much safer, and controllable alternative to rocket travel.
Sandy Kidd
PS I have built such a device but have never felt the need to demonstrate it, though photographs are available if I can find them
Regards,
Sandy
Date: 25 October 2022
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: MakeThingsFly - 26/10/2022 03:45:16
 Sandy, with your early devices, did you do different experiments with the size and weight of the gyroscopes?

Report Abuse
Answer: Sandy - 26/10/2022 11:21:31
 Hello Aaron,
I would like to see the photos you offered to send me.
As to the types and sizes I have played with, let me start by describing my very first home grown gyroscope.
This gyroscope was fitted to my very first machine and was made out of bronze.
It was about 85mm in diameter and weighed just over half a kilo..and not too easy to machine.
All in all it had the best output of any gyroscope fitted to that machine and delivered a consistent half kilo of thrust.
When I changed the gyroscope out to one made in high duty aluminium the output dropped to slightly less than half but did it consistently at much less revs than the 14000rpm of the bronze ones.
As it operated for thousands of runs consistently and somewhat easier in operation I left them on.
/
(The reason I changed them out is a long story relating to the device being “examined” in the University of Dundee in tests designed to suit them)
So over the years since that time I have made gyroscopes of many differing dimensions the largest being on my Australian Lab Test at 150mm diameter.
Apart from my original bronze gyroscopes all the others have been made in decent grade aluminium alloy, and all made by myself.
I think it would be fair to say that the size of the gyroscope was of much less importance than the manipulation you wish to carry out with it.
I have found that similar output results can be easily obtained by varying the input speed of the gyroscope drive motor to suit your needs.
Modern brushless motors, ESCs and radio control make this so much easier than in the 60s and 70s.
I have used and (I am still experimenting with) other hybrid gyroscopes to great effect again of about 150mm diameter but they are of special purpose and lie outside the scope of this reply
Does this help at all Aaron
Regards,
Sandy
PS The Rim section of most of my gyroscopes is about 12mm x 12mm

Report Abuse
Answer: James - 27/10/2022 00:31:16
 Hello,
Some of these ideas were presented by Nate under the title Anomalous Gyro Behavior on 01/07/2016. He used a hybrid gyroscope also.
Also his patent 10482790 describes similar gyroscopic forces in action.
Has anyone heard whether Nate has tested his four cylinder device yet?

Stacie

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products