Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

2 May 2024 03:52

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Glenn Hawkins
Subject: An experiment
Question: This is an interesting experiment that anyone can do using a telco gyroscope and a platform. My platform was a shoe box led with about a 2” wide strip down the center cut out and removed. If you place the wheel inside the slot and continuously tilted the platform left and right, the gyro will walk. Each tilt will lower the tilt side of course, and cause the gyroscope to walk forward. It’s that easy to do.

The gyroscope lowers itself during each forward alternating recession as it is tilted so that you have a victor of movement between two right angles, (down and sideways) equaling 22 and ½ degrees in a straight line. Play with your gyro and you will get it. The reason I believed this was propulsion without an equal and opposite reaction was because of two things.

First, it is intuitive to believe there could hardly be any friction at the pivot point of the gyro to the platform. It would seem not to exist but it does exist.

Secondly, Professor Laithwaite demonstrated with a tower on ice that there was no equal and opposite force during the procession but he cheated. His tower had sharp edges and sat on soft ice and he grabbed the gyro and tower off quickly. I later glued rounded metal tacks to the tower legs and placed the tower on hard ice. That demonstrated there was plenty of equal and opposite force at the pivot and destroyed my idea that I had found inertia propulsion.

If you try it let me know,
Glenn
Date: 30 June 2023
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

• No answers yet
  • Add an Answer >>
    Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
    Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products