Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

2 May 2024 13:43

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Glenn Hawkins
Subject: An experiment
Question: This is an interesting experiment that anyone can do using a telco gyroscope and a platform. My platform was a shoe box led with about a 2” wide strip down the center cut out and removed. If you place the wheel inside the slot and continuously tilted the platform left and right, the gyro will walk. Each tilt will lower the tilt side of course, and cause the gyroscope to walk forward. It’s that easy to do.

The gyroscope lowers itself during each forward alternating recession as it is tilted so that you have a victor of movement between two right angles, (down and sideways) equaling 22 and ½ degrees and in a straight line. Play with your gyro and you will get it. The reason I believed this was propulsion without an equal and opposite reaction was because of two things.

First, by observation, it is intuitive to believe there could hardly be any friction at the pivot point of the gyro to the platform. It would seem not to exist but it does exist.

Secondly, Professor Laithwaite demonstrated with a tower on ice that there was no equal and opposite force during precession but he cheated. The tower had sharp edges on soft ice and he grabbed the gyro and tower off quickly. I later glued rounded metal tacks to the tower legs and placed the tower on hard ice. That demonstrated there was plenty of equal and opposite force and destroyed my idea that I had found inertia propulsion.

If you try it let me know,
Glenn
Date: 30 June 2023
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Brian Morris - 08/07/2023 14:53:06

Hj Glenn,

This is what you were describing

https://cyberneticzoo.com/walking-machines/1981-the-walking-gyro-john-w-jameson-american/

In my own version I use two parallel wires stretched in a frame which can be rocked from side to side.
https://youtu.be/Vzu4W4KfKtI

Laithwaite’s tower was proved to be all wrong by a remarkable video on the Cambridge University Department of Mechanical Engineering. It clearly shows that the centre of rotation is 1 unit from the (light) tower against 10 units from the (heavy) Gyro. That means either the tower is 10 times heavier than the gyro, or that Laithwaite was right.

http://www3.eng.cam.ac.uk/~hemh1/gyroscopes/icegyro.html

I do not have adobe flash viewer on my PC. I have a copy of video 5 which I downloaded a long time ago. Have not found it yet but will keep looking.

Momentus

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 12/07/2023 01:08:28
 Hello Momentus,
Good work. How are you these days? Yours are wonderful replies.
In the https://cyberneticzoo.com/walking-machines/1981-the-walking-gyro-john-w-jameson-american/ The feet supply friction and demonstrate equal and opposite reaction. It is a real special invention, but I know you know it does not qualify as a reactionless drive.

Your demonstration, https://youtu.be/Vzu4W4KfKtI, is great. It beats mine. Still, it must have rearward traction to function.

The http://www3.eng.cam.ac.uk/~hemh1/gyroscopes/icegyro.html explains that others than myself realize the professor’s demonstration is faulty as it is misleading.
My explanation of how and why gyroscopes work the way they do is so lengthy and detailed that it is almost too difficult to understand. I should try again, but it wears me out, and I don’t think anybody cares or that it is needed but for the few of us.

Sincerely Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: Brian Morris - 14/07/2023 16:22:10
 Hi Glen,

Like you I cannot let gyroscopic behaviour lie in peace.

The robot walker demonstrates the alternating precession required to give forward motion. That the feet require friction is your assumption.

My walking gyroscope.
A spot of basic engineering fact. Coefficient of friction. Determines the force which can be transmitted. Steel wire with a coating of light machine oil does not transmit a great deal of force, so much so that with a slight slope of the wire, the gyroscope slides ‘backwards’ down the wire. Like it does in the video. There cannot be any “rearward traction”. If your car is sliding backwards no amount of revving the engine will drive it forwards.
This is an example of Dark Motion. It is there but you just will not see it.

As with the cam.ac.uk Article and video. As I said I cannot get the site to display the video without installing adobe flash on my PC, so I can only assume it has not been changed. I have however found a still frame which I took at the time when I plotted the centre of rotation with respect to the heavy gyroscope and the light tower.

The distance from the gyro to the Centre of Rotation was 12 units.
The distance from the tower to the Centre of Rotation was 1 unit.

Therefore the allegedly light tower was 12 times heavier than the heavy gyroscope. That does not prove the professor’s demonstration is faulty or misleading.

If you imagine a ball bearing rolling around inside a sphere and being deflected at the North and south poles, you can visualise a gyroscope. It is apparent from this that a gyroscope can only rotate about its orthogonal axis. The displacement observed in the tower gyroscope is effected by a different mechanism.

Finally, as I have said time after time. The horizontal deflection of a weight hanging from a string gives an accurate measurement of horizontal force. Hang a gyroscope and measure the force. Do the experiment. If your theory does not predict the outcome, check your theory.

All the best

Momentus.

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 15/07/2023 22:22:55
 Good post Brian, civilized even. I no longer argue. A man’s expressed opinion is very much respected around here at the Hawkins funny farm. I like that you research so diligently and once in a while, I like communicating with what used to be a lot of intelligent people here but have quieted down. I was involved so deeply and for so long it is as you said, I haven’t let it go. The gyroscope seemed endlessly complicated and it is. The examples you offered are extraordinarily good, wow.
Sandy, I wonder how you are doing. We talked about our induvial lives enough that I know something about you and I like you.

Happy trails Glenn,

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products