Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

3 May 2024 06:50

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Peter W. Allen
Subject: What makes missile gyroscopes spin?
Question: I purchased what was reported as a "missile gyroscope" over the internet. It is about 4 inched long and is enclosed in a plastic case. There were several wires attached to it. When I removed the case there was a steel gyroscope inside mounted inside a rotating frame, this allowed the gyroscope to pivot in two directions.
What I could not figure out was what action or force actually makes the gyro spin. there was no conection to it and nothing that I could see to make it spin. If you need photos to figure out what I have I would e-mail them to you.
Thanks
Date: 29 January 2005
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Ram Firestone - 29/01/2005 19:19:06
 Can't tell you for sure but some of them are powered by air jets. Does the outside of the gyroscope have these little indentations on it?

Ram

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products