Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

26 April 2024 00:39

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Simon Robinson
Subject: Nested Gyroscopes?
Question: Anyone have any comments on an idea I've had knocking about for some time:

Construct a large gyro, creating several hollows on the rim. Put gyros in each of these hollows (numbers to be determined by further experimentation). Would powering the smaller gyros create enough force to propel the main unit? I understand the main gyro may need a "bump start" to overcome inertia. Ideas?
Date: 13 March 2005
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: arthur dent - 06/04/2005 16:38:21
 This idea can be found in 'How to Build a Flying Saucer' by Pawlicki. It is also the subject of several patents. The mathematics of such an arrangement were analyzed by Volterra over 100 years ago. Nothing anomalous will happen.

Report Abuse
Answer: Simon Robinson - 06/04/2005 21:11:08
 Any idea where I can get copies of Volterra's work?

Report Abuse
Answer: arthur dent - 08/04/2005 02:06:06
 I shall have to search my records in order to find the exact reference. The calculations which I saw were in a book (in Italian) which I consulted when I was abroad. Unfortunately, this was so long ago that no photocopying facilities were available. So, I do not have a copy that I could send to you. I gleaned that the calculations had first been performed long before the textbook was written. So, it is possible that one might be able to find an earlier paper (or a later translation). You could try to search for them on Scirus. A search of Science Citations Index might reveal later papers which treated the same problem. Assuming that the book is the only source, then you could look for a copy on abebooks.com. Theoretically, you can order any book via the British Library. I do not think that they have a copy, but they can borrow from foreign libraries for you (at a price!). A word of warning: Volterra was not interested in 'nested gyroscopes' per se; his calculations were aimed at analysing things such as weather systems on, or fluid circulation within, a spinning planet.

Report Abuse
Answer: arthur dent - 08/04/2005 04:44:07
 Found it! The book is Opere Matematiche, Vol.2 by Vito Volterra. As luck would have it, a copy is currently available (abebooks.com) at a price of about 80 US dollars.

Report Abuse
Answer: Simon Robinson - 08/04/2005 07:30:22
 Thanks for that Arthur, my Italian's not good (ie nonexistent) so I'll look for a translation before I get the real thing and try and find someone who can translate technical Italian for me. Thanks again.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products