Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

20 May 2024 16:18

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Nikita Samuell
Subject: Earths rotation and gyroscopes
Question: A beginners question , lol , does anyone know what effect the earths rotation has on a gyroscope ?
say i did an experiment with a gyroscope at the north pole and then at the equator , would i see any difference in results ? behaviour ? or is the momentum of earths spin not sigificant in this regard ? , had to ask !
Seems to me there must be some interaction , and where better to ask such a question !
thank you , kind regards , nikita .
Date: 4 June 2005
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Nitro MacMad - 05/06/2005 23:36:44
 Dear Nikita Samuel,

Do the experiment with you as the earth. Let us know what you discover.

Kind regards
NM

PS I wish you youngsters would take the time to type things in full. "laugh out loud" is easy to spell and only takes a second to type.

Report Abuse
Answer: Robin Adams - 08/04/2009 06:47:41
 Hi Nikita:
I cannot answer your question fully - however it must have an effect for the following reason: I read recently in an encyclopedia that "one of the first notable uses of the gyroscope was in giving a visual demonstration of the earth;s rotation" - possibly by its inventor Leon Forcault in the 19th century.
Robin A.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products