Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

20 May 2024 18:10

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Robin Laws
Subject: Powerball
Question: I purchased one of these Powerball devices, and while I can see how it has the elements of a gyroscope I can't see how the movement of my hand seems to impart energy to the device causing it to speed up.

Also is this device a proper gyroscope, or something taking advantage of gyroscopic behaviour.

This isn't an ad for the things, I'm just an interested punter, as no doubt my kids will want a detailed explanation of how it works, and "I don't know" isn't considered an answer by my eldest daughter (8, going on 30).
Date: 25 July 2005
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Turner - 22/03/2016 00:19:50
 There is a clutch style arrangement. When the powerball is twisted the shaft connects to the outside of the powerball casing. The twisting causes also increases the speed of the powerball.

Hence it speeds up.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products