Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

20 May 2024 16:17

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Luis Gonzalez
Subject: Gyro Knowledge - Which Gyro has faster precession?
Question: Given 2 gyroscopes built exactly the same way with only one difference. The flywheels of the gyros have different mass (therefore have different weights on earth) even though they have the same dimensions. (The wheels are made of different materials).
Both gyros are spun with the same angular velocity.
Will their rate of precession be different or the same?
If there is a difference which one will display faster precession the lighter one or the heavier one?
Regards,
Luis
Date: 31 July 2005
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Luis Gonzalez - 31/07/2005 18:12:10
 I am sorry I put this question in the wrong area. I will put it in the Propulsion discussion area where it should develop in the right direction.
Thank you,
Luis

Report Abuse
Answer: Hawkins - 10/08/2005 16:45:01
 As you have described them, both precess at the same speed, only the angular momentum is different being greater of course in the heavier. How much mass doesen't alter the speed of precesion, however shape and dimensions mean everything. For instance and surprisingly to many perhaps, if you should slice either flywheel into ten thin slices, each slice would independently precess ‘ever so slightly’ faster than if it were connected to form again the original flywheel. I’ll bet this in now confusing for sure.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products