Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

6 May 2024 18:51

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: dave brown
Subject: Ok, back to basics
Question: A slow spinning flywheel precesses faster.
Has anyone continually sped up a flywheel while it's precessing to see how close to stopped they can make it?
If so, did you manage to get it to precess in the 'wrong' direction?
Date: 18 September 2005
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Ryan Chappell - 28/10/2005 22:06:27
 The faster a flywheel is spinning the slower it precesses, but I have never got a flywheel to precess in the 'wrong' direction by changing the speed of the flywheel before. You can change the rate of precession by changing the speed and mass of the flywheel and also by changing the amount the flywheel is off balanced. As for changing the direction of precession, as far as I know can only be done by changing the direction of rotation of the flywheel or by changing the direction of the force causing the motion of precession.

Report Abuse
Answer: dave brown - 28/10/2005 22:38:54
 Thank you for your answer.
I found alot more about gyroscopes and now, how to make it precess in the wrong direction.
It is all in the propulsion thread:

Sandy, you figure it out?

:)

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products