Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

13 May 2024 14:17

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Stephan H.
Subject: Gyroscopes in nature
Question: Hello :)

I am working on a paper that is about... gyroscopes (Could ya guess?)

and i was wondering if someone could give me a few examples of gyroscopes in Nature?

Thanks

Stephan
Date: 8 December 2005
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Sandy Kidd - 20/12/2005 07:04:20
 Stephan H..
You were asking for examples of gyroscopes in nature.
Here’s an example for you.
Consider the solar system and the “vertical ?” and “parallel ?” alignments of the axes of rotation of the sun and planets.
This is the result of a typical gyroscopic reaction.
It is reckoned to have been established in the region of 4.6 billion years ago. The fact that some of the planets, Earth included, but especially the ones furthest from the sun show considerable deviation from the vertical suggests that a bit of solar snooker has taken place within this extended time frame.
If left undisturbed over this 4.6 billion years, it could be expected that all the axes of planet rotation would all be nicely stable and parallel to the sun’s axis and of course each other.
This of course would have messed up our seasons a bit.
Sandy Kidd

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products