Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

12 May 2024 15:07

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Alex Perevedentsev
Subject: Where does the force that resists gravitational pull on the gyroscope come from?
Question: Hello guys!

I am in my final year in school and have recently observed the mystifying (at least for me) working of a gyroscope. The question that eludes me is: if a gyroscope rotates on axis parallel to the Earth's surface and is only supported on one end (e.g. see http://www.gyroscopes.org/showfull.asp?imagename=9.jpg) -- where does the force that resists *mg* acting on its centre of mass come from? I'm sorry if I worded it poorly.

If it is too basic and "boring" a question then would you be so kind as to direct me to somewhere where it is already explained.

Thank you,
Alex
Date: 8 December 2005
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Rodrigo Queiro - 09/12/2005 13:37:18
 By simple linear resolution, you can see that the forces on the wheel are balanced - the tension in the string lifts it, countering the weight.

The reason that it doesn't rotate as expected is that the spinning wheel has a large angular momentum. As it is hard to change the direction of a fast moving large mass with a lot of linear momentum, it is hard to rotate an object with a lot of angular momentum.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products