Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

7 May 2024 05:01

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Capitalisation on the Invention
Question: So I have got it to work, I know the markets, I have my patent, do I approach Rolls Royce or Pratt & Wytney and sell them the patents?
How much do you think I would get?
What would you do to capitalise on the Gyroscopic Propulsion Convertor?
Date: 5 January 2006
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: chris jones - 05/01/2006 20:00:46
 Hi steve
I would give it away and reap the reward of watching it change the world around me.
chris

Report Abuse
Answer: Stephen Wilson - 06/01/2006 19:54:35
 Hi Chris, that's a very good answer, but I would still get that reward of developement, some finantial recognition would help feed the budding inventors out there and maybe more good invention's come out of it.
I have been thinking about gyroscopic propulsion for some 26yrs and get a great feeling when I become inspired with another idea, there should be a body where like minds can discuss other ideas and contribute there ideas to help other's, but at the end of the day most inenters want some sort of finantial reward and recognition of their achievement.
Maybe an awards ceremony held once a year, what do you think?

Regards Steve

Report Abuse
Answer: chris jones - 07/01/2006 01:03:39
 hi steve
maybe there is no financial reward to be had, after all the missing link here seems to be an understanding of physical laws.can you patent how atoms behave. Once the mechanism is fully understood it will open the door to a miriad of inventions that everyone can share in. (I think)
chris

Report Abuse
Answer: Luis Gonzalez - 07/01/2006 15:47:19
 Stephen,

A patent has a useful life of 17 years in the US as long as you pay the maintenance cost. It is not easy to keep benefiting from your patent after its expiration date. If you have the resources (e.g. a large company), you can have a stream of patents to strategically cover the new developments and benefit from staying ahead of the market. This assumes that a market exists or has been created during the 17 years.
Knowing the market does not guarantee being able to break into it, depending on the degree of success of your invention. (What distance can it fly on earth? Is it strictly for space? What is its net force? What payload can it carry etc?) Many technical, personal and political factors come into play on defining an inventions marketability, no matter how great (perception is very important).
If you can convince a large company, that may be the best way to go, but what deal should you make? If you go for a flat out sale for cash it will fetch less over the long run, as its potential is not yet proven. If you negotiate with a smaller initial cash and get very high paying position with the big company including stock options, royalties, other benefits and a golden parachute exit strategy, then you are likely to reap the highest benefit, but only if the project and the company are successful.
I am sure this only cover a few of the things to thin about.

Thank you, Luis

Report Abuse
Answer: Stephen Wilson - 08/01/2006 00:58:09
 Thanks Lois for your contribution, I agree with everything you have said, and I believe there is more for the inventor to gain, they could benefit from media exposure, TV & radio interviews, presentations of the experiments, write a book, possibly film even running an organisation to help inventors & potential inventors. I would love to here from Sandy K. for his contribution.
Sandy I have been a great admirer of your work and in some way I have been there.
Independently I have built a mechanical machine / converter, I called it a Torque Thrust Converter, with the same principle as yours, using the precession factor to produce an opposite reaction in the other direction, you know what I am talking about; it was almost to your spec. I could not believe it. I watched your TV invention on Tomorrows World some 20yrs ago, and It totally deflated my beliefs because you could not get it to work. I don't think I or you are the only people who believe Gyroscopic Propulsion exists, but it is a great hobby/past time to ponder and dream what rewards could be achieved by actually discovering the secret. I have now had a paradigm shift and I am currently working on a three dimensional approach of harnessing the forces of a gyroscope and I believe this is will lead me closer to the to the final chapter of the gyroscopes enigma. Any thoughts please.

Report Abuse
Answer: Sandy Kidd - 09/01/2006 08:11:57
 Stephan,
Good on you I know exactly how you feel.
Some of us know it can be done, and that alone has kept me going.
As I have said before my findings were by sheer luck, the real problem was discovering why.
I dragged a machine ever 3 continents displaying inertial drive to many interested parties, unfortunately Newton kept getting in the way, and for my part I could not help either at that time. It would be a somewhat different story today.
So if you have got the reasons for the successful operation of the device all stitched up then you have a good chance of getting somewhere with it.
I did find on my travels that the engineers, physicists, mathematicians etc were not nearly as interested in the space driving capability of the device, as they were in the fact that Newton’s Laws somehow somewhere were being compromised.
I am in total agreement with you Stephan, you are entitled to some reward, although I personally would have settled for recovery of all my development costs which over the piece adds up to a tidy sum.
There are many people out there who are interested, but in almost all cases you will have to offer to take the complete experiment to them.
By that I mean the device, a decent rig, and measurement system which can display the abilities of the device without room for argument.
If you have managed to get it to run with the rotation axis of the device parallel to the ground, let me first offer my congratulations for that achievement.
The ballistics test will do the rest for you.
If the device only works with vertical axis of machine rotation, (which I suspect, but correct me if I am wrong) in this mode things are a bit more complicated the output of the device is invariably attributed to something else.
However if you can produce more thrust than can be attributed to any other factors then you are home free.
It could be worth a fortune.
Sandy Kidd.

Report Abuse
Answer: Sandy Kidd - 09/01/2006 08:43:19
 Stephan,
I meant to mention that the device in question always performed well, I just did not know enough about gyroscopes and their effects when run in accelerated systems.
I had more theories about why it worked than I could wave a stick at.
I should really have got some of the answers when I ran my second machine, but that was not to be.
12 years went past before I could put it all together.
Since then I have been going through an exercise of simplifying and speeding up the action, and it that in itself has not been so easy.
You will no doubt be aware that the action which creates the thrust is not where we all originally thought it would or could be.
Sandy Kidd

Report Abuse
Answer: Stephen Wilson - 09/01/2006 20:59:56
 Sandy, many thanks for your interesting response, fortunately I did not have to spend a great deal of money most of my components I designed myself and had them made up by a few friends in the engineering department from where I worked. You are right about one thing your last statement, I naturally assumed because a gyroscope processors faster when the gravitation force is increased it must work the other way round, however! It was not to be, it was only a small part of the potential thrust waiting to tapped into. I understand your device was some how using it's acceleration and altered angular positioning to create a thrust, but was not sustainable, and offered a smaller amount of energy output than was input? My devise was similar except it had no means of angular positioning.
I can believe you about the Scientists etc. they only know what they have read about by the great scientists before them. Somebody like you or I with all due respect a mere laypersons in their field of expertise, why should they get all excited. However the day will come when the Gyro Thruster is born and can be demonstrated as you have described "without room for argument" and throw in a forth law of motion for good measure to satisfy the Newtonians and then watch their reaction, I just can't wait.
My latest model is almost built and I expect to run it in the next few weeks, it is a scaled down version, put together with very little expense, before I create a version that works independently e.g. on a rowing boat without oars moving steadily across the lake even turning without using a rudder, or produce a flying model version, airplane without a propeller or jet for propulsion, perhaps a vertical take off, that would be quite impressive.
Any thoughts on what would be your demonstration method? Given sensible cost boundaries.
Regards Steve

Report Abuse
Answer: Jerry Volland - 14/01/2006 13:40:53
 Hi, Sandy.

I owe you so much for the inspiration you provided me along the way. Your timeframe for getting to Mars is still at the very forefront of my thoughts. And the fact that the National Enquirer paid you for your story (twice!) is also something I can't forget.

BTW, Newton doesn't really provide a problem; the Fourth Law of Motion is called "Torque Acceleration". I've demonstrated this at:
http://www.spaceoffice.us/ipm.htm

I'm glad to hear you're still working. Happily, I recognize you as being my primary competitior. (For Space Access)

Best Regards,

Jerry Volland

Report Abuse
Answer: yakov - 25/06/2006 05:05:56
 Im in the business of bridging innovation to venture capital....andI have an investor who makes jet engines for the miltary for 20 plus years ...i have easy access to him and he is the manufacturer himself....worldwide business interests..if what u have is innovative..he will give it its due diligence

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 26/06/2006 14:36:09

Dear Yokov,
This proposal is about to be sent out to various motor companies, but hasn’t been sent yet. I’ll wait. Let’s see if you are for real.
Sincerely,
Glenn

A PROPOSAL
FOR A UNIQUE MOTOR

I can foresee the commercial possibility for the design and building of a new kind of electric motor. While the application may be limited in commercial use, particularly at its first offering, it would be unique and therefore face no mediate competition. It may even have some value as a marketing tool capturing attention and adding to the reputation for innovation and design of a motor company. It should be considered that some future uses for a new motor couldn’t be known, until it is available for buyers to develop applications for it in certain unique areas in which they specialize. However a few applications can be guessed at, at the beginning.

For myself, I want to build the first good and affordable high speed motorized gyroscopes, with both flywheel and motor connected, centered and balanced as one, to produce a direct high-speed, gearless drive. This requires that the housing, connected inside the center of the flywheel rotate, and that dual shafts extent to pillow blocks where they are locked down and cannot rotate. Because these gyroscopes will be put under extreme radical thrust, and having long dual shafts under strong leverage forces the diameter of the shafts must be extra large relative to the size of the motor and yet the motor still produce high RPMs. Strong contact bearings will also be necessary at each end of the motor. Most probably the bushing design should be configured as ring ends allowing for sideways contact. These gyroscopes are for the general public and though they must be relatively inexpensive, I perceive only a limited demand, but I’m not sure. To be sure, there is no other possible, conceivable way, or means to produce the conditions I must have under the limitations necessary, but to build such a motor.

I also envision building a lecturer gyroscopes with such a motor that will measure torque visibly at various vectors occurring during veritable ratios between the magnitudes of angular momentum, applied right angle forces and leveraged distances, both by gravity and mechanically applied force. Additionally I have other different, but similar needs and uses for both precession at a distance where the center of gravity moves, and also static coupling where it dose not.

There are other possible uses for such a motor. One knows about storing energy in a flywheel and about vibration dampeners and about smoothing oscillating force and about providing a sudden thrust of power and knows of course about guidance systems. A centered motor would be the most compact and space saving way to do those things, not to mention adding better energy efficiency as a direct drive as opposed to gearing.

Would your company be interested in developing such a motor and perhaps a few other things? I can help you. There is much more than has been explained. My designs are not patented and they are only generalized and as you’ve surely guessed by now I don’t understand electric motors beyond general knowledge so this would be a strange relationship. I would expect 20% ownership of the patens and also several of the motors for which to test and develop my apparatuses.

Sincerely,
Glenn Hawkins

ehawkins32@comcast.com

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 28/06/2006 02:36:15

Well, I didn’t expect a reply, and the important mechanisms of the motor weren’t revealed, neither were the real purposes, nor even the real commercial appeal… so nothing is lost. Nothing was expected. I thought the offer was hot air when I first saw it.

I have already quickly received some response from a major motor company. Let’s call it a nibble, nothing more. Next we began correspondence. One way or another, with their money, or mine I have a chance to produce a tough and excellent little self-rotating disk.

If I can succeed in a year, the better for you. I will make it available to you (to you as cheep and profitless as possible) and it should aid you a good deal and perhaps in ways you haven’t yet conceived, because there was no such balanced, motorized disk available for you to see and think about.

If…, ifs and buts were candy and nuts what a very merry good charismas we’d all have. We’ll see, but I’m not like the guy who claimed to have an investor in hand. I try to be for real. Wish me luck.

Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: Jerry Volland - 03/07/2006 15:19:36
 Stephen,
Boeing and General Dynamics have expressed interest in this field. A realistic price is one or more hundred thousand up front, with 4 or 5 percent royalities. As for Newton, Dr. Eric Davis (of NIDS) says "a simple demonstration is worth more than any amount of theorizing."

Good luck with your system and thanks for letting us know you have something which works.

Jerry Volland

Report Abuse
Answer: Richard Ford - 14/09/2006 10:51:50
 If you have invented a new system of propulsion you have done well. Even better if it has a reasonable efficiency and is not similar to other axial gyro thrusters. Many have been looking for years, I hope your is 'the one'. However the battle is only just beginning for you ! My patent agent said that trying to sell a new idea is " like running through treacle". He was correct. My advice is to manufacture a working example and show people. Hide the workings in a box. Demonstrate by holding the device on a long string about 3metres long (plumb bob style) and switch on. The angle of movement from vertical proves thrust. Switch off - pull to the same angle with spring balance to measure thrust. Do calculations from this data not theory.
Do not believe that your patent keeps you safe because even the global companies have problems with companies outside the patent protection area. World wide patents will cost over £250K and even then could you afford to challenge a copy built the other side of the planet ?
I have already approached over 15 engine makers including Rolls Royce - all have returned my patent or show little interest.
I would love to hear more about your design - Richard

Report Abuse
Answer: cfg - 26/09/2006 19:34:31
 fu

Report Abuse
Answer: Stephen Wilson - 04/02/2007 11:17:49
 Sorry that it has taken so long to respond, but I wanted to get it working properly so their would be no doubt, not long to wait, nearly there with my first demonstration model, This Forum will be the first to know.

Regards Steve

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products