Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

13 May 2024 09:57

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Glenn Hawkins
Subject: Sandy's Nutations?
Question: Dear Sandy,

Your post came back into my mind.

Yes to your explanation: “Nutation is a complex balancing act, which depending on the energy contained in the gyroscope, and its direction of rotation, ultimately determines the speed and direction of precession rotation. Precession and nutation are but parts of the same thing.”

You also said: “If you search the web for articles relating to gyroscopic nutation and nutation frequency you will find all the answers you require to explain precession.”

Sandy, there is nothing more in this for me. It is as you explained above and as I’ve explained elsewhere on this site in different detail. Yes it is a “balancing act”. This is the same meaning as if I were to say in a long winded way: These motions are imbalanced and are seeking to find a balance between one another and as soon as they do these iritic motions cease and begin to flow fluidly. Fluid though these motions become, still, none can act without acting on all the others. All are continuously necessary to precession”

We are saying the same thing in different ways. It is all too simple. Graphs and frequencies? I designed my own. They become pointless. There is nothing more in it for me. There are no mechanical answers beyond what you and I described. Yes to “balancing act”.

As best as I can see, for the first time we come into absolute agreement on all things mentioned. I am very happy about that.

Excuse me and bully for you. I see no disagreement.

Glenn,

Date: 15 February 2006
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Sandy Kidd - 16/02/2006 07:22:00
 Glenn H
It’s nice to know that for once, someone has agreed with me
Sandy

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products