Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

20 April 2024 00:44

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Chuck Donaldson
Subject: Gyroscope effect on motorcycle stability
Question: So I was having a discussion with my friends today about how the gyroscopic properties of a motocycle's wheels will have on its stability.

My position is that the wheel has a relatively small mass (maybe 40 lbs) and so probably won't exhert a significant force on the motorcycle unless it's spinning really fast. This is particulary true because the axle of the wheel is at a mechanical disadvantage to the motorcycle's center of gravity; the axle of the wheel being maybe a foot from the ground where the center of gravity is at least twice that and acting with a mass of at least 500 lbs.

I can't prove it mathmatically and was hoping someone could give me a ball park estimate on how much force such a wheel could exhert.

Thank you for your help,
Chuck
Date: 28 February 2006
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: AT3 Jarrett Strickland USN - 16/05/2008 21:42:06
 sorry chuck you didn't ask a question, but i would like to help with the question if there is one to ask.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products