Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

13 May 2024 03:53

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Prashant Kasbekar
Subject: Wheel Balancer using gyroscope principle?
Question: I am doing a research on how wheel balancers work. As you know wheel balancers are used for balancing automobile tyres, by identifying the heavy spots in the wheel , tyre assembly. These heavy spots are then corrected by introducing counterweights on the exact opposite side of that spot.

Does the wheel balancer use the gyroscope principle for its function?

If yes, how?

I would also like to share what I have understood. I believe that the wheel balancer works on the principle of conservation of angular momentum(Please correct me if I am wrong!!). In the absence of an external torque, the heavy spots on the tyre, will rotate at a smaller angular velocity than the other parts.

Does the gyroscope also make use of this concept?

Date: 2 March 2006
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Turner - 22/03/2016 00:27:46
 Hmmm No.

Wheel balancers use detect unbalanced forces. They spin the wheel and have a sensor so they know the position of the wheel. Other sensors are used to detect the imbalances, basically increases or decreases in pressure of the sensor. This is linked to the position of the where the wheel. Hence you know where the imbalances are.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products