Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

13 May 2024 09:39

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Sandy Kidd
Subject: HUMANS & GYROSCOPES
Question: HUMANS AND GYROSCOPES
Recently on the “Forum” there was a question raised by, I assume a young lady relating to human gyroscopes.
This particular question jogged the old memory a bit.
Whilst this has absolutely nothing to do with the type of gyroscope in question, Eric Laithwaite and yours truly discussed (this was many years ago now) the possible outcome of a particular experiment.
The forum has gone a bit quiet recently so I thought I might drop this in just to stir it up a little bit, if I can.
Eric Laithwaite tended to experiment with passive systems, whilst for my part I have always dabbled with systems subjected to radial acceleration.
Howsoever the outcome of this experiment could be proved and would much easier to arrange and verify in an accelerated system.
Consider a “largish” gyroscope mounted on a “longish” shaft (you’ll need your imagination here).
The gyroscope shaft is supported in a bearing block such that the block is right up close to the gyroscope.
The bearing block is supported by a pair of links which are attached at the rotational centre of this gyroscopic system.
This attachment point now effectively becomes the system fulcrum.
The system itself can be rotated by means of a variable speed drive unit.
Likewise the rotation speed of the gyroscope can be varied to suit.
Now we come to the bitter bit.
A human being is added to the experiment for effect.
We tie a human being, more than likely, biting and screaming, to a seat fixed on the top of the gyroscope support bearing block.
We then rotate the system such that the human is subjected to a few Gs of acceleration.
At this point the human will become very quiet, but will not be any happier.
Next we wind up the gyroscope such that gyroscope system reaches saturation or what some folks still prefer to call precession.
What does the human experience at this point?
Sandy Kidd
Date: 10 March 2006
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Jim Hare - 12/03/2006 23:30:42
 We are a manufacture of human gyroscopes

check us out at www.gyrogym.com

Report Abuse
Answer: Sandy Kidd - 13/03/2006 08:22:49
 Hello Jim,
I had a look at your site.
Very interesting stuff, but would be inclined to make me a bit sea sick methinks.
I have seen these things presented in the media, previously, and think that they could be great fun once a person gets used to them.
However the operation of these “Human Gyroscopes” is somewhat different from the experiment described.
Whilst I have no doubt that it would be easy enough to engineer to the contrary, the human does not have any control of this experiment.
The human was added to the experiment for effect and for the sake of argument.
I really hoped you were going to offer to get one built and prove it for us
Sandy Kidd

Report Abuse
Answer: Nitro MacMad - 13/03/2006 19:31:41
 Dear Sandy,

I held back (probably not nearly long enough for most) as I didn’t want to be the first one shouting: “I know Teach, I know!”

However, as someone has leapt in trying to flog you a machine that’s sole purpose seems to be to allow you to re-examine what you had for lunch - funny how there’s always carrots even if you cannot remember eating any……

On your machine Sandy, the human will be lifted upwards (if you are lucky, before he centrifuges his lunch! Oh! Yuck! Sorry, for that mind-picture, everyone!).

The eternal question, til we get it right, is: - does the upward linear force (action) on the human, produced by the input of torque, required to lift him produce an instantanious equal downwards linear force? Or does the upward force have some of its opposite downwards force (reaction) reverse-precessed against the torsional force driving the system, leaving an imbalance in the equations that would indicate a new path?

Over to the mathematicians.....

My money’s on a new path.

Kind regards
NM

Report Abuse
Answer: Sandy Kidd - 14/03/2006 06:19:55
 Thanks for that Nitro.
I read the first 3 lines of your posting and knew immediately who it was.
Yes Nitro you’d need a strong stomach for the “Human Gyroscope” but I am not so sure about the other one.
Maybe have do the experiment (not with a person of course) to find out.
I think there may be a few surprises in store in this one
Regards
Sandy..

Report Abuse
Answer: Jim Hare - 06/09/2006 16:19:07
 We have had thousands of people use the Gyro and none of them have gotten sick (some did get a little dizzy).

We believe the reason is you don't spin in only one direction and the rider controls all the movement (Or most of it) so it is not really a ride. A powered human gyro would probably make you sick.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products