Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

12 May 2024 18:26

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Freeman
Subject: About Heretic video and the amazing 8th minute
Question: Hi all!

I saw the video "Heretic" of this interesting web site many months ago (in the first week of October 2005 if my memory serves me well). As the professor Laithwaite, I was just amused when Alex Jones turned on his weird invention and when he let the gyroscope to do the pendulum movement, that vehicle moved without any external force applied to it !!! What the hell was happening?? Since I saw it, there's no week I remember this video and start to think a good reason of this movement: I am a mechanical engineer I don't have any good explanation to this.

I've been carrying an extensive internet search about what I call the Jones-Laithwaite experiment and there are some short texts where it is remarked this invention, but in none of them explains what happened with this device, if Laithwaite or anybody found any explanation to this event.

My 2 question are as simple as these: has anybody explained this "effect" with the Newton's laws of motion? And has anybody ever reproduced this device and showed this effect again?

I think I will try to build the "Jone's device" in summer, because I cannot believe it not even seeing it in the video xD! It has to be any explanation to this, otherwise there's something wrong to Newton's law of motion, as simple and "demolishing" as this.

Thanks to all and to the admin, to let people to see these great videos, specially the BBC ones.

Regards, Freeman
Date: 18 March 2006
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Freeman - 18/03/2006 18:08:40
 Sorry to write three times the same post, I don't know how it happened.

Please, delete the other two if it is possible.

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 19/03/2006 12:09:16
 Hi Freeman,

It would be interesting for everyone here if you built the Jones devise and filmed its action with more clarity and explanation. If one goes so far as to build it, why stop there? It should be built allowing for a series of additional, possible actions to test by adding more mechanical components. The idea would be to try to create conditions that would continually cause the devise to move forward, rather than produce one thrust only.

When you get ready why don’t you contact me and we can bounce ideas back and forth as to how that might be done. Such a devise would be much more complicated than the Jones devise. ehawkins32@comcast.net

I like your idea,
Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: Freeman - 19/03/2006 15:12:49
 Hi Glenn,

Well, the construction of the "Jones' device" is only a personal project I have had in mind for months, but I'm not 100% convinced I'm going to make it: it depends on the free time I will have and the facility to get the components of the design. If I finally decide to build it, I will let you now any result. After having an explanation to the effect with the classical mechanics, it will be probable that I will continue experimenting with it, depending always in the results and validation of the original Jones' design.

But my the question remain in my head: do you know if has somebody ever explained this "effect" before with the classical laws of mechanics or built again this device?

Glenn, are you the one that has built the devices shown in the "propulsion work" section of this website? If so, it would have been really interesting if you had reproduced "Jones' device" again in order to corroborate this weird movement! I think that If you were able to make all of these designs that you show in this site, it would not be very hard to you to reproduce this device again, doesn't it?

Regards, Freeman

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products