Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

7 May 2024 00:07

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: DaveS
Subject: Progress
Question: At last it seems that things are happening.

My engineering chappy is actually working on my device. Having to order a bigger motor as the current one is not powerful enough to drive it.
Getting very scary. The underpowered motor is a monster, so I dread to think what it is being replaced with.
Also means that the machine must have been partially started to find out this inadequacy in the main drive.

Irrespective as to whether the machine will work, I think i should sell tickets to sit in the concrete bunker when it has its first run. If nothing else it could be quite spectacular.

Must get it on multi angle video. Or even better get Channel 4 to make a documentary.

Date: 30 March 2006
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Luis Gonzalez - 01/04/2006 14:45:00
 DaveS,
How many flywheels are you using in your model?
Are they all independently driven or does one single motor drive everything?
Will you test vertically or horizontally (that is the machine)?
What do you guess is the probability that it will not self destruct?
How much did it cost to build?
When and/or where will you test it?
Thanks, Luis

Report Abuse
Answer: DaveS - 03/04/2006 09:47:51

Initial machine has 2 gyros and one fly wheel. All are driven independantly.

Testing will be in the horizontal plane. Do not plan on doing a pendulum test as it will either work or it won't. The first test will probably run along rails.

Probability of self destruction is purely down to the mechanical build. The forces generated are extreme which is why i have had an engineering company make it for me.
A straight answer is that I do not know but i suspect it will survive the first test. If it does not then I expect spectacular destruction.
At full speed, the gyros will be spinning at approx 30,000rpm. The whole device will be moving at up to 300 rpm.

The cost of the device is not a consideration. I showed the engineer the principle of what I am trying to achieve and I agreed they could have a 49% shared stake in the device if they make it for free. Not quite true, I have to stump up the cash for the motors, the rest he has built from his own stock of materials. All appropriate intellectual rights and confidentiality documents have been drafted and signed.

The testing will take place as soon as the device is complete. Due to the engineering company having other commitments that pay their wages and mortgage, I have had to be patient. So far it has taken 1 year 6 months to build but the reality is that it is probably only about 3 weeks work in total. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be in the next month but experience has shown that it could be longer.

Wiith regard to patents, it is chicken and egg. When/If it runs succesfully then the patent will be submitted. To date there is no other machine that is competing, at least not that I am aware of and I have researched previous patents.

Unfortunately if it runs succesfuly, then I need to make another four devices and combine them together to get multidirectional control. The initial device should only be good for linear thrust in one direction.
This side of things does not worry me because if the prototype works then the big companies, BAe, NASA want to talk with me again. Contrary to their desire though, it is unlikely that I will give them the opportunity to get involved. When I needed their help, they were sadly lacking in their support. There are numerous private investors that will jump on the band wagon with whoever makes the break through first.
Besides. If they get their mitts on it then my plans for global domination go out the window. :)

DaveS

Report Abuse
Answer: phase - 04/04/2006 00:08:09
 good luck

Report Abuse
Answer: Nitro MacMad - 04/04/2006 18:58:51
 Dear Dave S,

How much are the tickets and where is the ticket office?

Good Luck.
NM.

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 05/04/2006 14:00:48
 Big event for you Dave S. I come back to wish you good luck.

Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: Sandy Kidd - 07/04/2006 06:22:04
 Dave S
Glad you are working on a different approach to the problem, 30,000rpm and 300rpm rotation speed? The mind boggles.
Trying for the moon first time out Dave?
Think I would be hiding behind a blast wall if it was me.
One thing, it’s going to be spectacular whether it succeeds of fails.
Best of luck,
Sandy.

Report Abuse
Answer: Luis Gonzalez - 08/04/2006 16:34:43
 If I may ask Dave, will the gyros start spinning first or the device, or are they simultaneous?
Thank you, Luis

Report Abuse
Answer: DaveS - 10/04/2006 12:16:44
 It does not matter.
The machine will not function unless all is in motion though.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products