Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

12 May 2024 16:17

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Royston
Subject: lets make it happen....
Question: Having thought this through i have I believe come up with an simple and workable idea to defy gravity.... how many times have you heard that. my idea is well thought through So if anyone out there would like to build this for me i will pay for the parts and some labour !
Now there is an offer !! hasanyone got time enough to prove me wrong!
kind regards Royston
Date: 22 May 2006
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Jacob Middleton - 02/06/2006 21:18:04
 Hello Royston- the mere possibility of your proposal is intriguing, how confident you are draws me to your proposal--- count me in.

I have training and access to high end 3D CAD programs such as SolidWorks/AutoCAD if your proposal could benefit from this. I also know machine shops that can create any 3D shape out of aluminum or other material and have other contacts for various R&D services.

About me: I work as an electromechanical design engineer, and experimenter/designer at home. I have many high end projects I am working on and am no stranger to conceiving designs which are considered on the boarder of what is possible-- so your project is extremely interesting to me. I'll look forward to hearing from you; just for clarity my home email is merlen7@msn.com-- and in your words, let’s make it happen... it's about time.
-Jacob Middleton

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 08/06/2006 01:07:49
 Hi Jacob,

I myself don’t believe in perpetual motion, but do believe in perpetual conversion of energy. However, I’m writing you in relation to inertia propulsion.

I need a few small DC motors with an ‘especially large’ diameter, dual shaft extending from both sides a distance several times further than the length of the motor itself. The motor must produce greater RPMs than the hollow shaft designs, which would support such a shaft, but are incapable of producing the RPMs necessary.

I’m searching for a knowledgeable, competent individual with the means and capability of building them and an individual I can afford. This individual should be able to answer questions of what can and can’t be done for a layperson, which is what I am. I can explain what I need, how and why with dimensional drawings. I have reason to consider there may be a future commercial market for these motors. We might be able to partner up in some way on the motors. I will appreciate whatever you have to say.

Glenn, ehawkins32@comcst.com

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 08/06/2006 22:37:01
 JACOB, FOR WHATEVER REASONS MY MAIL DELEVERY SYSTEM WILL NO LONGER SEND TO YOU. UNTIL I FIX IT, PERHAPS YOU WILL VISIT HERE AND FIND THIS LETTER OF REPLY FOR YOU.

Jacob,

What a very fine and informative letter. I’ve had to work at the desk this morning and have been preparing as much complete background and detail as I could for you, and as intermediate spurts of free time would permit and I hoped perhaps eventually to furnish as much information as is needed at this stage.

I find however I do not think one must be a ‘motor building company’. A blacksmith, anvil, forge and bits of scrap metal built the first motor. I can’t believe that a good machines today with average laths and mills cannot cut to precision, nor that many integral parts of high precision cannot be had off-the-shelf, particularly if these are selected first and the motor designed to fit them. The only difference in the small DC motors I need and standard motors available, is the shaft. It needs to be fat and long and strong on both sides. But then the whole motor has to be redesigned to accommodate it. A servo would be best and a great motor with rare earth magnets would be best, but I could get along a much simpler motor- not the best, just a balances, smooth, 'fast' and strongly constructed motor. I am thinking of buying my own cutting machinery, and I have three machinist relatives who said they’d help. I don’t know, will they? Still I need someone who technically understands motors, has contacts, understand the jargon, math, concepts and schematics, can also draw and knows how and where to find and select so many parts and things already available. All the things in this paragraph are the reasons I first attempted to qualify you by asking how you’d go about it if you decided to build your own unique motor.

I have, I believe at least most of the information you ask about, but I ask a second time, do you believe you can do your part?

Again: What a very fine and informative letter you wrote. I was both impressed and disappointed, but not enough to fail to thank you for it.

Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: Jacob - 09/06/2006 17:14:51
 Glenn- I did not mean to dissapoint, but rather share with you what I myself have found to always be the case. I have (like you) set out many times to create something simple that I see everyday, such as a motor or a ball bearing joint. But every time it always comes down to the reality that there really are companies that do ONLY that and make millions upon millions of dollars doing it, and how do we suppose we could follow in their footsteps so easily? For anything worth millions of dollars is WORTH millions of dollars, knowledge, experience, and hundreds of engineers working together for months on end. In your most recent reply you stated that you needed a "fat shaft" didn't you say in your first letter that you needed a 6mm shaft, which would be relitivly slim. If you are looking to simply spin a shaft and keep the center of gravity/inertia close to the center of rotation (axis/shaft) then there may be simpler ways to do this then to build an entire motor around it... Also a servo would not spin faster than a few hundred RPM's, I'm not sure why you were talking about servos, did I miss something? Best of luck, I'll check this page from now on instead of my email then-
cheers- Jacob Middleton

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 11/06/2006 21:33:25
 Dear Jacob,

You really must learn to say. “I don’t know how. Period.” Any average mechanical engineer with a background in electrical motors can design and build a reasonably good motor if he’s determined. If there is something he’s not sure of, 90% of all the technical knowledge in the world is immediately available to him so long as he has the background to understand it. Many pre manufactured precision parts are already available to him off the internet and services like machining, winding and assembly as well if he doesn’t already have the local available means, nor the willingness to do some of the assemble himself.

I told you before I haven’t explained anything. You can’t evaluate what hasn’t been explained. I need several motors and three types of them including linear motors. A 6mm diameter shaft is huge relative to a high-speed 30mm by 40mm motor. I seem to find that in all cases the larger the shaft the slower the motor. Is this correct?

I am familiar with the alternate mechanical methods, but concerning the motors I had in mind I’ve been in correspondence with a number of motor companies. There is the large hollow shaft design by ‘Etel’; a Swedish company that can furnish me special windings that should produce an estimated 2,400 RPMs at zero torque. I want more, but even if I compromised there are a number of other problems so that they, as well as myself, have ruled out such a possible solution motor. Jacob, pointedly again I still have not told you anything about the motors I have in mind, yet you keep digging at them. That is a sign of your intelligence, curiosity you know. What would be the point for me, as I don’t know what decision I will make? I may end up with a bevel geared right angle design, with one motor on each side of the rotating disk, reversible and synchronized. There are problems there. Don’t know yet. What I do know is that I don’t know much about motors.

The only thing I seek right now is a, CAN-DO, ability and attitude. It is a military term and you failed to grade out. I hope to try you again later. I haven’t given up on you. I see things I like, including knowledge and intelligence. I have to do actual work for a while now. I’ll get back to you.

Keep the faith in whatever you do, believe in you and good luck,
Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 11/06/2006 22:32:02
 Doggone it! I meant to add, I also need high torque, positioning, multi speed servomotors, that will stop on a dime. Yes, these are slow.

Jacob, I tell you this is 100% true. An inertial propulsion apparatus that works will be an extremely complicated machine. It has to create and maintain extreme mechanical calisthenics like actions you find nowhere else. Some functions are like controlling without controlling. You must reposition to allow a number of free actions that yet must occur exactly in a timed way to synchronize with other actions. Some things must be freed to do as they will, yet do them, as you demand in synchronizations before you reline forces. So even if somebody in history had ever understood the how and why of it all, this is why they couldn’t build it. I think I can. Sometimes to me this seems like an out of this world machine. Anyway I know why I need special things and why I don’t want to compromise. Sorry. I should have told you all about this that I believe at first. Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: Royston - 16/05/2007 16:45:35
 Well here I am at last My experiment was partly successful here is the theory:

You have a total of 3 gyros one small on the left one small on the right.Each are supported by gymbol on a round aluminium plate two holes in (a gyro in each hole) the tops of the gyros are linked to a stepper motor which is linked to ONE outside edge
Now the whole plate holding the gyros is spun on a spindle the stepper motor creates pull (or push) from one ever changing directionheres the fun part.... the weight does change (on a table scale showing about1/2 Kg) just before the whole thing snaps into peices! it seems I can make it heavier or lighter but cant get it to fly ! well its there for all to see and make tail or head of! happy spinning
Royston

Report Abuse
Answer: sol - 19/05/2007 01:01:44
 I lost it when you connected it to the stepper motor. How is that connection? and how is the connection to ONE outside? And from ever changing direction? Pls enlighten me some more.

thank:)

Report Abuse
Answer: Neil A - 26/03/2009 02:45:22
 Rodders? Surely there is only one Royston Hollyer. Startracks?

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products