Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

10 May 2024 22:11

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Tommy
Subject: Producing Forward Movement
Question: I work alongside gyro's as part of my work as an Avionics Technician In the RAF. I was undertaking a course on basic gyro theory and wondered if Gyro precession can be somehow turned into forward movement replacing drive from a motor in a car. I thought about it for a little time but im no expert, I thought maybe some sort of gear stick to place torque on a particular point on a gyro to produce precession in another direction 90Deg out. Any thoughts or am I talking rubbish LOL. Would appreciate it if you got back to me. Thanks Tommy :)
Date: 26 June 2006
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 27/06/2006 02:27:39

Hi Tommy,

What you ask is exactly what this site is all about. You will find many interesting discourses posted here going back years. Choose a couple and join in.
Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: Jerry Volland - 03/07/2006 15:05:15
 Tommy.

Your idea of changing the position of torque has merit. For instance, changing which end is on the pedestal, while also changing the spin direction will produce a repeatable effect resulting in unidirectional movement. I've verified this with flywheel rotation. My basic set-up and experiment is depicted at:
www.spaceoffice.us/ipm.htm

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products