Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

6 May 2024 20:01

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: David Wolf
Subject: A Hinged Gyro
Question: Hello All,

It is now time to test how well I can describe a concept. The joy, the horror, the unimaginable! In an attempt to understand all that has already been tried I ask this question.

Let’s say one was to take a gyro and cut it into 1/8th parts but leave the center intact (hold everything together). Each of these 1/8th parts would be connected to the center by a hinge. This hinge would allow the parts to move vertically to the spin of the gyro.

So now we have an object with 8 parts that all have some amount of weight on each end. They are all connecting to the center with a hinge allowing them to move up vertically to the spin. We spin the object up and what happens? Nothing, if everything holds together.

Now let’s assume we can add a force to move the objects 10 or 20 degrees vertically to its spin during half the rotation. What would happen?

Thanks
Date: 13 July 2006
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Nitro Macmad - 13/07/2006 19:41:13
 Dear David Wolf,

What do you think would happen? Your question implies that something unusual will occur. I cannot see anything unusual happening. Please explain.

Kind regards
NM

Report Abuse
Answer: DaveS - 17/07/2006 10:13:26
 Another slip stick device.

If I have this pictured correctly, the gyro will have a device, cam to move the whole up and down on one side only. A little like the fun fair Waltzers without the cars attached.
What would effectively happen here is that the lifting of the segments would create an unbalanced flywheel, which will want to equllise itself by moving in the direction of no segmment lift.
It will move but the harnessing of the forces would not be the most efficient way to do it.
This would also not be something that I would expect to generate any lift.

There are several patents filed and several individuals already following a similar route.

Report Abuse
Answer: Jerry Volland - 12/08/2006 13:29:16
 Hi, David.

If you subtract seven of the weights for now and just consider the effect produced by one of the weights, here are what my experimental observations entail:

As the weight starts from the position fartherest away from you it will lift upwards with the hinge for the first 90o of movement. If the shaft is also pulled towards you during this time (by an external, horizontal force), there will be a reaction force which will lift the shaft and, hence the frame.

I base this understanding on an experiment I did in which a one pound weight on a one foot spoke (with a 1 1/2 HP motor turning at 600 RPM) first tiped the top of the shaft away from me, as it moved to the far point. Then, as the shaft was pulled vertical during the first 90o of the weight's movement towards me, lift occured. After that, torque appeared and spun the entire frame around.

Combining this with what I've discovered through experiments with a split gyroscope using two weights on counter rotating shafts, more lift can be added if the shaft is held vertical for an additional 30o, then tipped so that the top moves towards the observer during the remaining 60o of the half rotation. After this, the shaft can be pulled back vertical as the weight moves 90o away from the observer, producing nearly continuous lift for the full rotation.

I'll leave it to your ingenuity to determine if any or all of this sequence can be incorporated into your multi weight system. For instance, each of the eight hinges might be activated sequentially to move upwards, at the far point, with a horizontal force pulling the shaft.

JV

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products