Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

7 May 2024 02:23

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Nitro Macmad
Subject: mass displacement
Question:

Dear all,

Having completed the latest complicated (aren’t they all?) machine, intended to be a “fast repeater”, I found that it was both fast (aren’t they all?) and a repeater. Until, that is, it “let go” in the usual, spectacular and disappointing way, as mentioned before.

As well as copying the speed and means of disassembly of earlier types, it also suffered from the usual problem associated with all fast repeater gyro machines; that the precessable/reactive/displacable mass (due to the machine’s mechanical complexity) tends to end up small compared with the overall mass.

This results in tiny total machine displacements that are clear to its maker, but will cause any observer who claims some knowledge of Newton to think the maker “misguided” (or totally “off his rocker” as it is scientifically known.). A further problem for me is that a patent office somewhere may soon demand to see practical proof that the basis of my fast repeater patent is sound and demand I demonstrate this machine that “goes against natural law”. (Now that should make an interesting video)

It was thus that I decided to return to “base one”, partly to double check that I was still “on my rocker” and (as “base one” involves a mechanically simpler device producing a single mass displacement) the precessable/reactive/displacable mass is a greater percentage of the machine’s overall mass leading to a quite observable, repeatable, total displacement of the machine.

It is many (Oh! So) many years since I first made a “base one” machine, so it was with some relief if not unbounded joy that I discovered that my memory of the original was sound and the new machine confirmed that mass displacement is indeed possible.

The next stage will be, of course, a “base two” machine. This is more complex and thus involves more useless mass and a reduction of movement. At least I know it is still “out there” and now, you all do too.

Kind regards
NM

PS I was going to start this; - Dear Nutters in sheds, but realised that although I am happy to wear that title with more pride than I would one of Princess Tony’s (special offer this week – just one curry) Knighthoods, others may not. N.I.S. is a sign of effort (no matter how ill advised) to advance our understanding so take it as a compliment if, like me, you are called one.

Date: 13 July 2006
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Sandy Kidd - 18/08/2006 10:03:40
 Dear Nitro,
From a fellow member of the NIS brigade, please accept my sympathies for your recent disaster.
Some of us know exactly how you feel, but after the depression subsides you will surely start all over again.
I really do not think the NIS tag should be attached so much to what we are attempting to do, as much as to the fact that, like a terrier with a rat, you will relentlessly attack the problem, again and again and again.
At least unlike the “talk it to death” brigade we have a chance of proving something, which unfortunately will probably be lost on our demise.
Far be it for me to enquire about your age Nitro, I think you ain’t no chicken, cause like you I used to modify “A series” and “S” engines for racing.
Nitro methane I only used in model racing glow-plug engines.
You must have had a fat wallet, I just could not afford to burn it in a racing “S.”
I don’t think you’re just as old as this turkey, cause this old turkey is just plain running out of time, and not so keen to modify things anymore.
It has taken so long to collect all this good information.
“Wish I’d knowed then, what I knows now”.
Best regards,
Sandy

Report Abuse
Answer: Nitro MacMad - 19/08/2006 21:22:26
 Dear Sandy,

Thank you for your nice response. You have, like most people of our age, learned to judge well and have pretty well got me banged to rights. The depression caused by my most recent rediscovery that centrifugal (Complete with arrows. – Sorry, Mr. Dent but I’ll understand things the way that suits me best) force can exceed the molecular bond of metal has already been subjugated by the curiosity that is responsible for my getting involved in this lunacy in the first place.

I regret that I have slumped towards the “talk it to death” brigade of late but shall try to move away from the dark side and do some proper shed-work soon.

Ah! The “A series”! Our knowledge of that, and the “S”, tells us we are of the same era. Nice to know that someone else has pondered how to port and balance an engine that should defeat efficiency by having a shared centre port – yet somehow “worked”. The “racing” is perhaps a misnomer as I only competed in quarter mile sprints. I don’t think I could have afforded the Nitro/meth mix for longer distances (it used to burn about three quarters of a gallon for a fourteen seconds run and a burn out) and the poor old “S” engine would probably have let go in a longer run. It was (after three years of learning how slow Nitromix burnt – the ignition started things burning half way up - and how a fraction out on mix could quickly melt things) very reliable and earned me the record for seven years with no letting go, unlike the gyros (Hm! Maybe I should go back to the Nitro!). I didn’t have a fat wallet. I bust myself to start with and then, luckily, the wins attracted sponsorship.

Only marriage and kids stopped my fun. That’s not true! The fun just changed direction.

It’s an interesting coincidence that I should hear from you now as the American patent office has just sited your patent and will cause some redefining of mine – don’t worry, mine follows a different path and I have no wish to tread on any toes. The patent process is a total pain, made worse by the interposition of agents that (having a classic understanding of Newton) think I’m nuts. Luckily I am strong/stupid enough to think I know better.

I have found that understanding gyros is very like understanding women: “Wish I’d knowed then, what I knows now”. My lovely wife has just commented that I have some learning still to do. Ho! Hum! Plus sa change!

Kind regards
NM

Report Abuse
Answer: Momentus - 05/09/2006 12:05:45
 Nitro

Sad to hear that it happened again!!

As you say elsewhere nil carborundum

Mass displacement is a reality, keep at it and best of luck.

Momentus

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products