Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

20 April 2024 08:33

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Jonathan
Subject: G-Force
Question: Does anyone know how much g-force can affect the accuracy/reliability of a gyroscope?

Many thanks
Jonathan
Date: 9 November 2006
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: webmaster - 09/11/2006 16:58:48
 G-force should not affect a gyroscope provided the gyroscope is designed correctly. The cages/gimbals needs to have good symmetry. If they are not then, the design/ manufacturing flaws will show up as unwanted precession as the G-forces increase. So in a sense g-forces can amplify the inaccuracies of the gyroscope. These inaccuracies are usually so small, time would be better spent improving other aspects of the gyroscope. It is not unusual for commercial/military gyroscopes to withstand 20G, 30G or more. Bearings also need to chosen carefully. I quick high G shock (e.g. being dropped) can damage the bearings badly. In some cases resulting in total failure of the gyroscope.

Report Abuse
Answer: Jonathan - 10/11/2006 01:36:19
 Thanks very much for the speedy response! Deadline coming up tomorrow, it's nice to have someone so helpful out there!

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 04/12/2006 22:43:58
 High g shock:

Can you suggest a suitable bearing system for a gyro under strong oscillating radical thrusts, while also vibrating heavily toward the plain of rotation (bouncing) between two containing walls? Yeah, I know, but what would last longest? I will pay attention to whatever you have to say if anything.
Glenn,

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products