Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

10 May 2024 05:51

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Simon Lovell
Subject: Gyrospcope clock?
Question:

I suspect that the answer to this question is that I've misunderstood the physics....

As I understand it, a freely rotating gyroscope will maintain its axis of rotation, and therefore to an observer will appear to rotate due to the rotation of the Earth. If this is true, can I use a gyroscope as a clock? If so, how can I build one? Is it as simple as getting a gyroscope, a motor and a gimbal?

What I have in mind is setting it spinning, then calibrating it by marking off hours as it rotates. According to my understanding I would have to recalibrate it if I moved it North or South, but not East or West.

If it would work, I'm really tempted to build one - I think it would be great to have a clock powered directly from the Earth's rotation. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks

Simon
Date: 16 January 2007
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: paul kenyon - 19/01/2007 18:56:25
 Simon,
The orientation of your gyro is not clear in your question. I am no expert and have questions of my own...however...let's assume you have the gyro cantilevered off a cone on one end of the axis as with the most basic example of gyroscopic precession. The gyro precesses, according to the formula describing its behavior, depending on the gravational force trying to make it "fall" and its rotational speed. The rotation of the Earth may also have an effect on it. Surely the friction of the bearings will, any air currents or other forces on it. My suggestion is that it would be an inacurate clock at best because of all the unknown forces that might act on it. If it is driven by a motor, there is the problem of getting power to the motor. That will be done, is usually done, via as frictionless contacts as possible....of a commutator sort and even these will wear and otherwise vary in the force on the gyro. If the gyro is in as good a vacuum as you can make, the motor will heat the remaining gas in the enclosure, will heat the bearings changing their characterists...etc. I think there are too many unknowns for this to work well.
Paul

Report Abuse
Answer: Simon Lovell - 19/01/2007 23:30:45

Thanks Paul,

Maybe I've been mislead by physics classes, with frictionless bearings and string of negligible mass.

In a way I'm tempted to see if it would work, but it would cost £100 or so for the equipment, and I think the wife, wonferful and indulgent of this sort of nonsense as she is, wouldn't be happy without a convincing theory that it would work (did I mention she's smart too?).

Unless someone can say "I'm absolutely convinced this will work" I think the gyroscope clock will remain on the drawing board.

Simon

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products