Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

7 May 2024 01:57

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Peter Burton
Subject: Glenn Turner's Prototype Number 6
Question: Glenn,
Your prototype 6 comes near to Eric Laithwait's pat 5860317 Figs 21-28. But you're missing the point. When you force rotate the big table you have to let the gyro sub-assys rotate freely within their holes (no forced precession) for the first 180deg of the big table, then clamp the gyro sub-assys under forced precession for the return 180deg of the big table. Also you need 2 counter-rotating gyros in each sub-assy so you don't have a total torque at 90deg through the big table and you need 2 big tables side by side to even out the linear push (see Laithwait's diagrams). The first 180deg of the big table gets the gryros from one side of the circle to the other so pushing the big table due to Newton's 3rd law. The second 180deg puts the gryo sub assys back to the start (as they naturally precess) without imparting reation to the big pivot.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS YET? IF NOT, THEN YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR PROTOTYPE 6!
Best Regards, Peter.
Date: 17 January 2007
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 04/02/2007 18:31:24
 Dear Peter,

You need to stop using the term sub-assys as it relates I believe to a specialized use in layering and compartmentalizing in 3D cad drafting. You won’t find the word in the dictionary, thesaurus, encyclopedia or, the study of physics. You want to be understood so use in place of sub-assys: place, area, compartment, holes or some such designation of your choice inside a sentence that explains your meaning of the word you chouse. Your are using a word that is authoritative and intelligent, but doesn’t impart general meaning. We have enough trouble here trying to understand Sandy’s made up words. Hi Sandy. Happy birthday. I’m just kidding you a bit.

Now to your Ideas, Peter. They are good and have a depth, thought and study in them, but I have questions in my mind that they would work. When you clamp the inside axels, closest to the axes, the outside axels of these little gyros being freed would lift. However when you later clamp the outside axels, would not the freed inside axels descend--downward? Think about it. Try to figure out some kind of test and try it and be sure to let us know?

Good talking to you,
Glenn

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products