Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

3 May 2024 08:02

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Graeme
Subject: Device testing during an solar eclipse
Question: Has anyone thought of somehow testing their devices during a partial or full solar eclipse?

The web address given below details some strange gravitational effects using pendulums during solar eclipses.

http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/ast06aug99_1.htm

These events may affect the action of a spinning disk/gyro also.
Graeme
Date: 9 February 2007
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: glenn hawkins - 13/08/2008 22:03:27
 The site listed above is fascinating. I had never visited it because the question seemed cookie, but it isn’t. It’s very scientific and might interest you as another abnormality. There’s just no explanation offered for this strange behavior. Abnormalities do exist!

Report Abuse
Answer: Graeme - 15/08/2008 17:57:30
 Hi Glenn,

Yes it is an interesting phenomena, It shows how a little difference in the gravitational field could can affect the movement of a pendulum, taking it a stage further, how many people can afford to send their devices into space where gravity affects objects of mass differently for experimentation? Not many if any! But any advantage would be a bonus, I'm almost positive that a different result would be obtained, I remember someone a number of years back got result after result and then a non result with their device when it probably mattered most (Murphy's law?)with no apparent explanation why it stopped working (Maybe they have the reason now) It could be something like where the Sun or Moon was and/or what planets in the solar system were in some type of configuration or alignment with the devices position that could give a good or bad result, gravity is after all a very weak force, every opportunity should be explored to the full.

Best regards
Graeme

Report Abuse
Answer: glenn hawkins - 18/08/2008 21:29:49
 Hi Graeme,
Yes, exactly. And, this is another example of why testing must be performed. When we are one hundred percent certain a theory built of math, logic and known dynamics, it still may fail when actually tested. Who could have ever believed that a pendulum would swing a great deal differently during an eclipse? Not me that’s for certain, but after visiting the site you posted few could argue against the proof offered that it does swing differently. Good talking to you.
Take care of yourself now,
Glenn

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products