Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

11 May 2024 18:17

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Svein Lomheim
Subject: Gyros and weight
Question: Hello gents,
Im new to this site. And I got a question about weigh and gyroscopes.My english is VERY bad. Sorry for this.

In the video number 4 of Eric L. Chrismas Lecture, he have a gyro with a weight hanging on one side.
Clearly we can see the gyro start to go around and at the same time the side that is hanging out with the weight on is
slowvly going down towards the floor.

"he puts a torque on the inner ring, and the outer ring precessec.." He explains.

Howere when Eric L. give the outer ring a push in the same direction that the ring is already going in, the inner ring dont speed up
in its rather slow movement to the floor, no it does the opposite and raises up in the air again.
(he puts a torque on the outer ring and the inner ring prececces..(i know i write tht wrong..).

And here is my question:
Will the system as a whole loose /gain any weight when he does this push on the outer ring- lifting the weight upwards again?

And by a "system as a whole"
I am thinkig of every thing we see from the table floor and up. Imagine the whole experiment from table and up was conducted on
wheigt. Would the system lose any wheigh or get an increase in weight when eric give the gyro this push? Or
would the weight have the same weight as a gyro standing still/no spinn at all.

Also, Will the system lose /gain any wheig when its one side is slowly going downwards to the
floor as in the beginning of the movie clip, or will it all have the same weight as when the system has no spinn to
the gyro at all?

Answer to this question will be very much appreactiated. Anyone who answer should also give up if the answer is an opinion based
on readings, or if it is something that the reader has actually tested him/herself.

Also I hope you all understood my question, since my english is rather bad..

In advance THANKS!!
Date: 19 March 2007
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Tom Schum - 21/07/2007 21:03:23
 Laithwaite's video presentation seems to be on shaky ground from the time he runs the toy gyro on the tower, with the tower sitting in a bed of ice (in my opinion).

Some of his demonstrations later in that same video are quite thought provoking.

Generally the conventional "wisdom" is that the gyro is a system in which torques are exchanged and rotated. If you think of it this way, the weight of the system does not change.

For example when the toy gyro goes precessing around the toy tower, there really is a tipping force against the base of the tower. You can see it in the video when the rate of precession increases and the tower starts to topple. Prof Laithwaite grabs the gyro just at that moment, and moves on to the ice bed.

So, be very careful about possible weight changes in gyroscopic systems. I am not saying they cannot happen, only that current theory as I understand it does not support the idea of weight change.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products