Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

26 April 2024 01:17

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Jorge d'Avila
Subject: Gyro Couple without precession
Question: I think this would be a simple question, but I couldn't find any answer to it yet...

Suppose we have a gyro in a suspension system with 1 (one) degree of freedom only. That is: the gyro spins around an "x" axis, it has freedom to swing its axis around the "y" axis, but NOT around the "z" axis.

Now we apply a couple, trying to move it around the "y" axis. The normal tendency would be for the gyro to precess around the "z" axis, but it is locked in this axis.

Question: what equation describes the relationship between the applied couple and the movement around the "y" axis, given an angular velocity and mass inertia?

Practical application: suppose we have a gyro used to stabilize a ship. Then "x" axis would be the vertical. The "y" would from side to side, and the "z" would be the ship's movement axis (longitudinal). When the ship begins tilting laterally, the gyro will be subject to exactly the situation stated above. My question is: what is the couple the gyro applies over the ship to avoid such tilting?

Thanks for any clue on this!
Date: 11 April 2007
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Robert Archer - 15/07/2009 12:54:59
 Get a copy of Classical Mechanics by Herbert Goldstein. Also Mechanical Vibrations by Den Hartog covers the ship stabilizer problem. Both are McGraw Hill & Co

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products