Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

3 May 2024 10:40

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: webmaster
Subject: C of G Experiment with one gyroscope
Question: I was hoping to release all the information I have in one go. But after watching the comments on one of the threads ("Some more thoughts about the heretic video") I thought I better provide this. I'm sure it will be of interest to you. It is a draft section in my book. I had the idea a few years before I actually did the test.

http://www.gyroscopes.org/experiment.pdf

Glenn Turner

BTW: can anyone guess what the second servo and rail on the arm (top) is for?
Date: 20 July 2007
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: webmaster - 20/07/2007 15:09:55
 BTW: I do have a very good air table which I have done some expierments with. I couldn't use most of this stuff (too heavy for a just about all air tables), so I had to use smaller gyros.

I will have to video it and take pictures of it for you at some point.

Glenn Turner

Report Abuse
Answer: Ram Firestone - 20/07/2007 15:40:10
 "BTW: I do have a very good air table which I have done some expierments with."

I'm not sure what you have done but here's a thought. If you have a gyroscope (or top) with a long thin shaft you should be able to calculate the center of mass between your puck and your gyroscope and mark it on the shaft. If your puck is symmetrical, this point will not move (on the shaft) no matter what angel the gyroscope is at. Now all you need to do is start the gyroscope precessing at enough of an angle so you can photograph the position of the mark from an overhead position as it precesses. If standard physics is correct it should stay in the same spot or at least move in a straight line if for some reason things aren’t leveled. Of course air turbulence could come into play, however if you could put the gyroscope in a light plastic housing that would take care of most of that. This is the best experiment I can think of that you could do relatively easily on earth. It’s still not perfect since the shaft is not infinitely thin but it should be good down a centimeter or so.

Report Abuse
Answer: Momentus - 20/07/2007 20:24:02
 Hi Glen
………… “BTW: can anyone guess what the second servo and rail on the arm (top) is for?”…………..

I can suggest a use for it, which judging from the way you designed the apparatus, it is what you had in mind from the start?

As described, it is a classical one shot ( Nitro’s phrase) displacement of mass.
The slide and motor are there to change and restore the configuration so that you can repeat the displacement action.
Perhaps like so ..

Do the “up like a gyro” movement through 180 degrees as you have described, to get a displacement of the C of G. “Movements of centimetres”

Then “down like an inert mass” use the slide to pull the spinning gyroscope along the radial axis in to the centre of the apparatus, in line with the vertical axis. In this position , rotate it through a further 180 degrees and then use the motor/ slide to push it back out. This will restore the geometry to the original configuration, but will not change the C of G.

At which point you can repeat the cycle, the apparatus will move along the track, infinite displacement of mass without a net exterior force.

As this was back in 2005, I suspect that you have already moved mass outside of its own boundary. Welcome to the club.

Report Abuse
Answer: webmaster - 22/07/2007 14:57:11
 Correct. Thats what it was designed for.

Report Abuse
Answer: Ram Firestone - 22/07/2007 16:01:55
 "Correct. Thats what it was designed for."

I'm not sure I really understand Momentus here. Are you trying to do the equivalent of one of the Laithwaite's machines? I had kind of stopped thinking about that machine mainly because he had a different much better design later on. The only thing is in his other design he removed the seesaw for some unknown reason so the gyroscope wasn’t really processing any more. It was just moving as if it did. Perhaps this is why you don’t see too many pictures of that machine. That was what my post on the other thread was about. It probably sounded like babble :-) I was proposing putting the seesaw into his other machine so at least it obeys his theory. I had actually come up with my design before I looked though Laithwaite’s patented and I was surprised to see had almost the exact same idea (minus the seesaw).

In any case if you put the seesaw into his other machine and again assuming his theory is correct, you conceivably have a machine that will precess for half a rotation and move normally for the other half. The difference is you could easily spin it up to high speed so it would be thousands of times more efficient then trying to do a half rotation and a half slide.

Report Abuse
Answer: Momentus - 28/07/2007 22:07:44
 Glen,
Glen What ever is the world coming to?
You post, with photographic evidence a violation of Newton's laws;
Denada, rein de tout, nothing.

This is why the site is so vital .

We will prevail. No reality will win.

Report Abuse
Answer: Momentus - 28/07/2007 22:12:06
 Amazing what a mssing comma can do?

Report Abuse