Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

11 May 2024 17:28

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: MattCampbell
Subject: Rotational speed
Question: Hi, I've read your website and have taken keen interest in your 4x Gyro platform (from your propulsions page), can you give me some more info on it please? I am interested in knowing what speed you were rotating the platform at?
All the best with your work
Matt
Date: 3 September 2007
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn H. - 08/09/2007 10:24:08
 Hi Mat,

You ask for a lot. We all do. We all ask for a lot. The platform does not rotate, the four gyros that sat upon it move in synchronization, same time, back and forth generally about half-rotations each. (No attempt is made to explain this here.) The diameter of the disk, the weight, the distribution of weight, the arch determined by the distance of the lever arm, and— the speed of rotation of which you ask are all related, where when you add, or detract from any of these things, then each of others give different relative values. The prime value, once all the other values are stated should (for me at least) stated a value of resistant to changing the plain of rotation. Furthermore, the magnitude of right angle ‘force’ that must be applied to an overhung gyro (most often gravity) determines the ‘speed’ to which the spin plain will be altered, we say cause ‘tilt’. The faster you tilt the greater the resistance to being tilted. There's some good mathematics the Webmaster has added. Fine them. Look at them at least.

These are just statements that work for me. They are not explanations. Even if understood they’d hardly be a good beginning. Maybe nobody knows everything so far as I can find. Don’t get discouraged. One way to learn is to read everything on this site, all of it, and then ask specific question in the threads that you read, yet don’t understand well.

Glenn

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn H. - 08/09/2007 10:24:58
 Hi Mat,

You ask for a lot. We all do. We all ask for a lot. The platform does not rotate, the four gyros that sat upon it move in synchronization, same time, back and forth generally about half-rotations each. (No attempt is made to explain this here.) The diameter of the disk, the weight, the distribution of weight, the arch determined by the distance of the lever arm, and— the speed of rotation of which you ask are all related, where when you add, or detract from any of these things, then each of others give different relative values. The prime value, once all the other values are stated should (for me at least) stated a value of resistant to changing the plain of rotation. Furthermore, the magnitude of right angle ‘force’ that must be applied to an overhung gyro (most often gravity) determines the ‘speed’ to which the spin plain will be altered, we say cause ‘tilt’. The faster you tilt the greater the resistance to being tilted. There's some good mathematics the Webmaster has added. Fine them. Look at them at least.

These are just statements that work for me. They are not explanations. Even if understood they’d hardly be a good beginning. Maybe nobody knows everything so far as I can find. Don’t get discouraged. One way to learn is to read everything on this site, all of it, and then ask specific question in the threads that you read, yet don’t understand well.

Glenn

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products