Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

12 May 2024 12:01

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Heather Winkopp
Subject: help teaching children
Question: I have a second grade class comprised of gifted students. I just picked up a cheap gyroscope to introduce it to the students. I know I will be asked how it works. My husband, who has an engineering background, tried to explain it to me. My eyes glassed over the minute I heard the word gimble. Please recommend a site that can give me an explaination I understand so I can introduce it to the children. Although I am not stupid, I do understand Newton's laws, my entire engineering background is asking my husband questions like, "What is torque?" when watching the Mythbusters.
Thanks
Heather
Date: 5 September 2007
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 05/09/2007 13:26:34
 You’ve come to the right place, Heather.

http://www.gyroscopes.org/1974lecture.asp

http://www.gyroscopes.org/gallery.asp

Any age is a good age to introduce the wonders of the gyroscopic. Showing the professor’s lecture to eight year olds would be grand, but trying to actually explain why and how the gyro functions might be best for high schoolers after the kids have had a taste of physics.

Good luck and let us know how it goes with your class.

Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: Heather Winkopp - 05/09/2007 22:25:21
 Glen thanks so much. The videos were extremely helpful. I'll show them on my Promethean board to the class.
Heather

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products