Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

11 May 2024 18:59

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: James Cothren
Subject: Gyroscopic Propulsion
Question: I am an engineering student in BatonRouge, La. I have for a long time now been interested in gyroscopes and gyroscopic priciples, like vibration, waves and ......I am taking my second physics and still have not really touched on gyroscopic priciples. Anyway, like so many others I have a good, I would not say solid theory, on a gyroscopic propulsion system that I would like to prove mathematiclly before moving any futher. I am looking for someone who has thought about this much more than I have to: A. answer some basic questions for me. B. hopefully supply me with some equations to help me solve some problems such as gyroscopes in falling body experiments and(for example) if a gyroscope weighing 2 lbs. is rotating 1 time a second does that equal the same inertial gravity as 2 gyroscopes half the size(1 lbs each) rotating twice the speed. Or maybe someone who has come before barking up the same tree as I have and hit a brick wall. That would probably save me alot of time . To sum up, i believe that with the advancement of nano technology and other technologies it may, just maybe possible to create a type of gyroscopic thrust feasible for real world applications. If anyone thinks they can help me, please send me an email to james_cothren@yahoo.com
Date: 8 September 2007
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 28/09/2007 21:38:03
 LSU? Tulane? In BatonRouge? Where?

Size, or pounds, which? It makes a difference and shape also determines an answer. Time and distance determine the speed of a rotating particle. When the size of a flywheel is halved you must take in account pi to find the new circumference distance. Then if the RPMs remain the same you will find two 4” diameter wheels produce the same amount of angular momentum as one 8” diameter wheel. Why? You multiplied all by the same number to find the distances traveled during the same time, pi x 4’’ plus pi. x 4” = pi. x 8”.

If a one-pound gyro occupies the same amount of space and shape as a two-pound gyro and you have two such lighter ones rotating at twice the speed as the heaver, the two combined will produce twice the amount of angular momentum as the single larger one. {1 LB. X 2v X 2} . {2 Lb. X 1v.} = 2/1

Falling gyroscopes don’t react remarkably in any way. Some statements based on tests performed in Japan clamed otherwise, but it is now accepted here in the west that the tests were flawed.

I don't know if I helped, but you might find all you need in the math section of the gallery here in order to create your own equations as you need them. The world need more fine engineers. Good luck in your studies

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products