Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

10 May 2024 10:17

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Mehmet Terziakin
Subject: I have an gyroscobic slowing system for space vehicles
Question: I have designed a gyroscobic space slowing system especially suitable for space shuttle.
You can see schematic figure and explanation of the system by clicking below link. I would like to hear your comments . If you want to communicate my e mail mehtema@yahoo.com

http://mehtakin.googlepages.com/gyro.pdf

GYROSCOPIC SPACE SLOWING SYSTEM

In this system there are flywheels in the space vehicle. Before landing or entering into atmosphere these flywheels are being rotated. Their rotation axes is perpendicular to space vehicle direction. Rotating flywheels leads to resistance against movement and rotation speeds of the flywheels gradually increases. But in this case rotational speed of the flywheels increases excessively without control and this system does not include a method for taking away enormous amount of kinetic energy of the space vehicle and dissipate this energy with a proper way.

Above facts are already known but this invention includes “an inventive step” for taking enormous kinetic energy of the space vehicle without a harmless way. This solution is employing electric generators fitted to flywheel shafts and taking increasing speed of these gyroscopes. Thereby rotation speed of these flywheels will be kept within a predetermined range. Electric energy generated by these generators will heat electric resistances facing space. Heat transfer rate with radiation is proportional to 4.th force of the temperature of these electrical resistance panels. High temperatures such as 1200 – 2000 C can easily be used in vacuum environment in there heat dissipating panels. By this way large amount of energy kinetic can be converted into heat energy and can also be dissipated space as a heat transfer by radiation.

Especially in space shuttles before entrance of the atmosphere or during landing of a space vehicle onto a planet without atmosphere This system enables a safe slowing and/or landing without requiring rocket fuel consumption. Take off weight of such space vehicles can be decreased significantly. Beneficial load capacities of space vehicles are also be increased.
Date: 29 December 2007
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 05/01/2008 09:18:00
 I am sorry Mehmet. I do not see that your system will slow anything.

You said, “Rotating flywheels leads to resistance against movement...”

The resistance you speak of is torque. You may have understood that, if not I offer this. There is a spaceball gyroscope invention that you can buy. It exercises your wrist as you try to twist it this way and that. It resists being twisted, but you can throw it as far as far and straight as a baseball. Linearly it does not resist movement as is the same with all rotating systems, yours too.

You said, “But in this case rotational speed of the flywheels increases excessively without control and this system does not include a method for taking away enormous amount of kinetic energy of the space vehicle and dissipate this energy with a proper way.”

A ball bearing has been rotated in a laboratory at extreme speeds (I’ve forgotten the numbers.) until it was said to explode. That is one way provided in physics, ‘when you have no control of accelerating rotation’ that the system will rid itself of excessive kinetic energy.

You said, “This solution is employing electric generators fitted to flywheel shafts and taking increasing speed of these gyroscopes. …High temperatures … can easily be used in vacuum environment in there heat dissipating panels. By this way large amount of energy kinetic can be converted into heat energy and can also be dissipated space as a heat transfer by radiation.”

Yes, your system of one generated rotation, which opposes another generated rotation, will generate heat from the generators, but a simple motor opposing nothing at all will produce electromagnetic generated heat. Creating heat is not a problem. The real problem in space was how to dissipate heat. You see there are no molecules in space to which heat may be transferred in a chain reaction. NASA solved the problem ingeniously. You can learn about this with your search engine.

Forgetting about design for a moment, if you discover how to dissipate heat in one direction only such as an explosion you’d have reinvented rocketry, or perhaps ion propulsion.

Don’t give up. I like your design work itself, http://mehtakin.googlepages.com/gyro.pdf , the drawing, and you have good imagination. You have what it takes to be innovative. Learn more. One must also study.

I hope this won’t be just another effort to answer somebody and try to help as ask and never get a thank you, or kiss my foot in return for the effort. Say hello, Mehmet.

Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: Mehmet Terziakin - 01/05/2008 17:26:15
 Hi Glenn
In space heat is conducted by radiation. Remember Heat transfer from sun to earth by radiation.

Report Abuse
Answer: Mehmet Terziakin - 01/06/2008 15:05:43
 I HAVE MADE SIMULATION OF THE PROPOSED SYSTEM. YES IT WORKS. I HAVE USED WRONG TERMS IN EXPLANATION. I SHOULD HAVE USED MOMENTUM WHEELS TERM. I BELIEVE THAT I HAVE SOLVED AN IMPORTANT PROBLEM OF THE SPACE SHUTTLE AND LANDING PROBLEM OF SPACE VEHICLES

Report Abuse
Answer: Mehmet Terziakin - 01/06/2008 15:06:16
 I HAVE MADE SIMULATION OF THE PROPOSED SYSTEM. YES IT WORKS. I HAVE USED WRONG TERMS IN EXPLANATION. I SHOULD HAVE USED MOMENTUM WHEELS TERM. I BELIEVE THAT I HAVE SOLVED AN IMPORTANT PROBLEM OF THE SPACE SHUTTLE AND LANDING PROBLEM OF SPACE VEHICLES

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 04/06/2008 19:03:36
 Hi Mehmet,
Very good, glad to see you’re working. Yes, radiation is dispersed by the sun and to your credit this radiation will power a sail craft in space. The problem is this radiation is so week mathematics is required to prove it has a propulsion effect. If memory severs, the earth in all its vastness gathers only a couple of pounds worth of thrust per day from the nuclear explosions in the sun. Still, your point is perfectly true. You just have yourself a wonderful time today, Mehmet. I have so far. Life is good, yes.
Glenn,

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products