Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

10 May 2024 01:36

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: LAURELIN WEBB
Subject: earth gyros
Question: me and my friend are doing a science fair progect on gyration and inertia and our hypothisis that basicly the earth is just one big gyro. but we need proof that that is right or wrong. would you tell us???
Date: 24 January 2008
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Link S. - 28/01/2008 19:08:59
 It is fairly common knowledge that the earth is an immense gyroscope all on needs to do is think about the fundamentals of a gyroscope. Much of the movement and stability of a gyro is based on its speed on its axis similar to the earth. The gyro needs to be spinning very quickly no less than one hundred rounds per minute yet at this speed its stability is almost nothing. second is its axis the earth is spinning at thousands of miles an hour and if one contends it needs to be on a stable plane one needs to research Einsteins theory of floating planets. my suggestion is to research geographical effects on the earth and in it you will be able to find the gyroscopic effect.
Sincerely link S.

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 03/02/2008 14:42:02
 There is not so simple an answer for me in the question you ask. We can consider these conditions. The world is rotating at about 1,000 miles per hour. Its diameter is about 7,000 miles and its mass so far as you and I are concerned is so great as to be incomparable and maybe even unimaginable. http://www.thomasbending.co.uk/puzzles/physics/angmom.htm
Despite this incredible angular momentum this is still a simple idea. It a spinning spear like a spinning wheel on your car. Neither are gyroscopes, until a time when an outside force would manipulates them to change their plain of angularity. Until and if that happens neither can exhibit gyroscopic reactions.

What outside force is there to change the plain of earth’s angular momentum? The gravity of the moon with it’s great tidal wave force could do it easily, except the moon is not orbiting at any where near a ninety degrees angle opposite to the earth’s rotation plus the tug of the moon is uniformly spread across the face of the planet at any time and no tilting comes of that. As our planet orbits the sun tilting is caused by the orientation of the orbit and not by gravity, which by the way should be pretty equally distributed on the earth in relation to all the other larger numbers so it’ pull at one Pole more than the other should be almost negligible. So little you can say the sun tilts the earth from its plain of spin. What about comets passing near the earth? The effects are too small to consider. What about the field of meteorites rotating about the earth? They are not very massive comparative to the earth and if they were effective they should have long ago adjusted into a somewhat evenly distributed paths as they are in Saturn’s rings.

I repeat, what outside force is there to tilt the earth and change it from a mechanical condition of a spear rotating, into a gyroscope reacting? Not much. Surely there must be some such effect somewhere, some how, but the effects would probably be so comparatively small as to hardly be worth considering, except to a mathematician.

So it is on these bases of a lack of any substantial outside interference that I think the world is far more than ninety nine percent not a gyroscope, but an apple spinning silently in space caught in the grip of the sun’s altered space-time like the circles that you find in the windmills of your mind. The world is a spinning spear I think, not a gyroscope.

Give me a word. You ask. What do you think?
Glenn. H.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products