Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

3 May 2024 05:31

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Harry K.
Subject: EDH's gyro propulsion invention
Question: Hi EDH and all others,

I would like to continue here in this thread the discussion about EDH's propulsion invention. Here is the link to the old thread: http://www.gyroscopes.org/forum/questions.asp?id=864
I hope some more contributors will join us!?

EDH, you stated that all spheres rotate about the radius of the main drive (hub) in CCW direction from the side view. The hub also rotates in CCW direction from the plan view. That means that in operation all spheres will move upwards. Correct?

For (my) better understanding I first consider only 2 spheres, the one in origin horizontal position and the pivotable locked under a defined angle above positioned sphere. If the rotation speed of both spheres is zero, they would behave like dead masses. That means if the hub would rotate the spheres with a defined rotary speed, 2 different centrifugal forces would act at the spheres. The bigger centrifugal force would work at the horizontal sphere, the smaller one at the upper sphere. Because the upper sphere rotates around a defined height, a torque will be created by centrifugal force and the height distance to the rotation center (hub).
The horizontal sphere ,however, cannot create a torque because the height distance to rotation center is zero. Thus the upper sphere will lift the horizontal sphere until both torques created by the spheres will be identical. This will be the case if both spheres are positioned at the same height above the rotation center.

So far so good. If the spheres now work as gyros, i.e. they rotate with a defined rotary speed around its center in CCW direction, the forced precession causes the spheres to move (deflect) upwards. That means that the horizontal positioned sphere will be supported in its upward movement and the upper positioned sphere will be prevented to its downward movement (caused by the centrifugal force).
I guess that this difference may cause an inbalance of all acting forces and thus may produce lift. But at this stage I cannot recognize a pulsating interaction of both spheres. In my opinion the both spheres should balance and remain at a certain position. How do you achieve the pulsating?

That's only a rough estimation of acting physics and certainly not complete but it would be helpful if you could confirm this so far. Till now I connot find any involved Coriolis forces, but only centrifugal forces.

Regarding the use of spheres instead of disks I guess it is an advantage to use spheres because the mass inertia is identical for all rotation axes (Jx=Jy=Jz).

Thanks and best regards,
Harry
Date: 13 March 2008
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

• No answers yet
  • Add an Answer >>
    Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
    Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products